[BNS_members] Monarch Report and Invitation

Larry Bogan larry at bogan.ca
Mon Aug 10 15:39:24 CDT 2020

BNS Members

There are now fresh and young Monarch butterflies appearing from
chrysalis. We have again this year protected some of the Monarchs as they
go through their life cycle. So far we have released 11 adults. We have
over 60 caterpillars and chrysalis developing inside and the egg laying
has essentially stopped. Monarch butterflies that emerge now will have
repressed sexual activity and be the ones to start migrating south. The
Monarch butterflies that we have had in out field for nearly a month
laying eggs now are looking faded and worn.

We are now finding more chrysalis and final stage caterpillars in out
field of milkweed. My most recent survey of adults flying in the field was
13 and the count of chrysalis about 7. This year is not as productive as
the previous several years but it is good.

AN INVITATION

Next Saturday the 15th of August we will have an open house for two hours
 from 10 am to noon, to allow any BNS member, friend or family to visit and
see what is going on with the Monarchs in our field.  This will be
strictly an outdoor tour with appropriate COVID-19 precautions. Masks are
not required but distancing will be practiced.

We will have displays set up outside and you should be able to see various
caterpillar stages on plants in the field.

We are at 6539 Brooklyn Street west of Kentville and north of Cambridge.
Drop in for a view.

Regards
Larry and Alison Bogan

--