[BNS_members] November meeting and other updates

Riley Scanlan rileyscanlan16 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 10:37:57 CST 2020

Hi everyone,

Next *Monday, November 16th @ 7:30pm is our Annual General Meeting*. Here
is the link to join:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87880935845?pwd=eWExQWNTUEttYzh2VlVFQ2M2TklrUT09
Over the past 5 months, the board has undergone a significant strategic
planning process. Outcomes of the many discussions and meetings will be
sent around soon, to give you all a chance to read and comment.  This
summary will also be presented at the AGM, which will take a bit longer
than usual. Because of this we will not be having a guest presentation that
night.

However, we are instead co-hosting a webinar with our partner program,
Flying Squirrel Adventures, the following day:

*Tuesday, Nov 17th @ 7:00pm*
In this presentation, Dr. Ingrid Waldron will discuss the legacy of
struggle and resistance in the fight against environmental racism in
Mi’kmaq and African Nova Scotian communities.
Here is the link to register:
 https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZclf-6uqzgrEtze4vKknL-lpXqT-rVqT_fZ?fbclid=IwAR1z-wU6hbnbeJoICXYu4v-oNyPt1xnp8RvtVqVp2dmJQJsHAkFYGfiZ0dc
<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZclf-6uqzgrEtze4vKknL-lpXqT-rVqT_fZ?fbclid=IwAR1z-wU6hbnbeJoICXYu4v-oNyPt1xnp8RvtVqVp2dmJQJsHAkFYGfiZ0dc>
Dr. Ingrid Waldron is a professor at Dalhousie University and author of
"There's Something in the Water: Environmental Racism in Indigenous & Black
Communities", among many other titles. We are so grateful for her time and
would like to show her an involved and interested audience. We would love
to see as many of you there as possible! Poster attached

*Mainland moose update*
This article contains recent photos of moose taken in Cumberland County.
There is also a timeline of events that provides helpful context to the
issue.
http://nsforestnotes.ca/2020/11/08/nova-scotias-mainland-moose-we-are-still-here-let-us-be-8nov2020/?fbclid=IwAR3KsQHH_9eoVDCUATrQx4w3RxGDIsftl1I-X6aCWjWHqmAxEwi6Kprdsms

*________________________________________________________________*

*Mi'kmaq partnership takes over Clearwater Seafoods*
A coalition of Mi'kmaq First Nations have partnered with Premium Brands to
buy Clearwater Seafoods. Mi'kmaq will own 50% of the company and will hold
100% of Clearwater's Canadian fishing licenses. Read more about what this
means:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/ken-coates-clearwater-mi-kmaq-deal-1.5797069

I hope some of you were able to enjoy the warm days we had this week. I
decided to test out the waters at Long Lake on Tuesday... turns out if the
air is warm, the water is not necessarily also warm! That said, the hike
back was made much easier with all the sunshine.

[image: IMG_6416.JPG]

Have any outdoor adventure stories? Feel free to email them to me to be
shared on our Facebook page!

All the best,
Riley