[BNS_members] Biodiversity Act

Riley Scanlan rileyscanlan16 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 14:51:15 CDT 2021

Hi all,

Some of you have likely heard that the Minister of Lands and Forestry has
reintroduced a Biodiversity Act, Bill #4. This bill would act as a tool for
government and landowners to protect ecologically important land. There has
been a lot of media and misinformation spread around the act. The BNS board
has produced a letter stating our support for this act, which you will find
attached. In addition, here are a number of helpful resources that explain
what this act means, how it works, and what it does *not* mean.

Nature Nova Scotia's great graphic on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/NatureNS/posts/4106853709363032

East Coast Environmental Law explains the act:
https://www.ecelaw.ca/blog/nova-scotia-needs-a-biodiversity-act.html?fbclid=IwAR0oG85ovWdQcKE5yxZONeun3H9yfJ-goI1NeckJMJ7YTaiNlZQf-IXLNBg

Nature Nova Scotia and the Ecology Action Centre have produced letter
templates that you can add your name to and send off to MLAs. Note that
both templates do not have a spot for your postal code. It is sent to all
MLAs, but I recommend adding your postal code so your local MLA knows you
are a constituent.
EAC's letter:
https://ecologyaction.ca/save-nova-scotias-biodiversity-act-contact-your-mla
Nature NS's letter:
https://naturens.ca/nova-scotia-once-again-close-to-enacting-biodiversity-legislation-dont-let-it-slip-through-the-cracks/

Better yet, if you have the time, a more impactful way to voice your
opinion is to personally call or email your MLA.

All the best,
Riley