[BNS_members] Owl's Head Provincial Park

Riley Scanlan rileyscanlan16 at gmail.com
Sat May 22 16:45:06 CDT 2021

Hi everyone,

Save Owl's Head Provincial Park organizers have asked BNS members to help
the campaign by signing both the online petition: http://chng.it/Cfmc7RK9m5,
and if you can, by printing and signing the attached document.

*Background*
In March of 2019, the provincial government secretly removed Owls Head
Provincial Park from Our Parks and Protected Areas Plan. They did this in
order to enter into a Letter of Offer with a private developer, who wants
to develop 2-3 golf courses and a residential community. Biologists warn
that this would mean “complete destruction” of the site’s ecological
values.

Owls Head Provincial Park is a biodiverse property with undisturbed coastal
heathlands, salt marshes and bogs, a freshwater lake, estuaries, and over 5
miles of coastline. It is bordered by offshore eelgrass beds and is home to
several species of conservation concern. We are lucky to have such diverse
areas in our province and should do what we can to protect them.

There are many other ways you can show support, such as displaying a yard
sign or writing a letter to the editor, which are all explained on their
website <https://saveowlshead.org/action-center/>.

All the best,
Riley