[BNS_members] Highway Clean-Up Recap, Thank Yous & More

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Mon Nov 8 07:46:35 CST 2021

Good morning,

I have a few notes to share ...

Highway Clean-Up Recap:

Yesterday we had a beautiful sunny morning for our fall highway
clean-up. We had an enthusiastic and effective group of 10 members who
spent an hour and a half along highway 1 between the west edge of
Wolfville and Deep Hollow Road. In total, 11 garbage bags were filled.
Still quite a lot, with the usual suspects of coffee cups, plastic
wrapping and other food packaging proliferating. However, some members
who have helped in years past noted a decrease in garbage this time
around, which is heartening. Let's hope that downward trend continues.

A big thank you to all those who came out and clambered through ditches
and brought keen eyes and energy! Many hands made for light work and a
delightful sunny walk. See the photo attached below (though I was too
busy picking up litter to remember to snap more photos of our great
clean-up crew).

Thank Yous!

A big thank you as well to all those who have participated in BNS events
recently, to those who have volunteered their time and passion to
activities and projects, to those doing so much behind the scenes in
various roles, and to those who have supported this work through
generous donations, words of support and other contributions.

Upcoming Activities:

This upcoming Sunday November 14th, at 2:00 pm, there is another field
trip: "Preparing for Winter." This will take place along the Millennium
Trail in Wolfville. Soren will lead a walk talking about how plants and
animals prepare for winter. See details here [1].

As always, all events and meetings can be found on our website under
"Activities" here [2]. Stay tuned for more information on the upcoming
AGM.

Have a lovely day,

Caroline

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her
 Coordinator, Blomidon Naturalists Society
 Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. This
territory is covered by the "Treaties of Peace and Friendship" which did
not deal with the surrender of lands and resources but in fact
recognized Mi'kmaw title. We want to recognize that outdoor education
and play would not be possible without access to the natural world that
has been stewarded since time immemorial by the many Indigenous peoples
of this land. We acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and
learn about their histories and current cultures and to actively work in
support of reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and
sustainable relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with
all other organisms, with the land and with the water.

Links:
------
[1]
https://blomidonnaturalists.ca/event/preparing-for-winter-field-trip/