[BNS_members] Rainy day updates

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Wed Nov 10 13:40:33 CST 2021

Hello on this rainy afternoon,

I just wanted to communicate about a few upcoming events to know about:

First, our next field trip PREPARING FOR WINTER, still has some space if
you would like to join. It is happening this Sunday at 2:00pm along the
Millennium Trail in Wolfville. Details and registration here. [1]

Second, our ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING is coming up next Monday November
15th at 7:30pm. More details to come later this week.

Also, Flying Squirrel Adventures' NATURE FOR NEWCOMERS program has been
very successful thus far. Their next event is November 27th. Nature for
Newcomers is a program open to any one - all ages, all backgrounds - who
is new to the Valley.  This month the walk will start at Miner's Marsh
and then head up to the VCLA gardens on Oakdene Avenue for a campfire
and warm treats. For more info see here [2]. Registration is required.
Snacks are free and transportation support is available.

Please share this information and poster with anyone you know who is new
to the Valley who may enjoy seeing new natural spaces and meeting new
people. A great introduction to the wonderful naturalist community in
the area!

Our friends up at the Ross Creek Centre for the Arts, where we host
field trips and workshops, have asked me to share an event that some of
our members may be keen on: On November 19-21 they are hosting a WOMEN'S
OUTDOOR WEEKEND RETREAT, lead by Jamie MacLean. Jamie will share their
passion for and knowledge about the natural world and outdoors skills -
the weekend will involve lots of time outside, creative activities,
local food and more. Find more information here [3].

Finally, the BNS has a fantastic membership with varying passions and
backgrounds with regards to the natural world. MEMBERS ARE WELCOMED TO
HOST FIELD TRIPS, WEBINARS, TALKS, ETC. PLEASE REACH OUT IF YOU HAVE AN
IDEA OR ARE KEEN and we can make plans for the winter and beyond.

Take care,

Caroline

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her
 Coordinator, Blomidon Naturalists Society
 Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. This
territory is covered by the "Treaties of Peace and Friendship" which did
not deal with the surrender of lands and resources but in fact
recognized Mi'kmaw title. We want to recognize that outdoor education
and play would not be possible without access to the natural world that
has been stewarded since time immemorial by the many Indigenous peoples
of this land. We acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and
learn about their histories and current cultures and to actively work in
support of reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and
sustainable relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with
all other organisms, with the land and with the water.

Links:
------
[1]
https://blomidonnaturalists.ca/event/preparing-for-winter-field-trip/