[BNS_members] Upcoming Fall Field Trips & Monthly Meeting!

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Wed Oct 12 19:21:11 CDT 2022

Good evening,

A reminder of a few upcoming events (with more to come later in October
and into November too):

SUNDAY OCTOBER 16 AT 2:00 PM: FALL COLOURS FIELD TRIP - GASPEREAU RIVER
TRAIL Join the Blomidon Naturalists Society for a Fall Colours Field
Trip along the Gaspereau River Trail (see map here [1]) on Sunday
October 16th at 2:00 pm. We will explore the changing fall foliage,
mushrooms, birds, the river, and other natural curiosities.

This walk is generally quite level along a well-trodden path alongside
the river, though there are some ups and downs and steeper areas. There
is a section right at the start that requires sure footing as the trail
crosses a damp/wet section along the riverbank, and some parts of the
trail can be muddy or have loose shale. Good footwear always
recommended, as are walking sticks/hiking poles.

There is some parking available across the road/bridge from the
trailhead [1]. Carpooling is encouraged!
Please let us know if you want to join here:
https://forms.gle/Lj1H7vqLdhschPmJA

MONDAY OCTOBER 17 AT 7:00/7:30PM: MONTHLY MEETING WITH A TALK FROM
SANDRA BARR ON THE AMAZING GEOLOGICAL HISTORY OF NOVA SCOTIA
Our October Monthly Meeting is Monday October 17th. This meeting will
occur in-person in Wolfville and online on Zoom. We are excited to have
Dr. Sandra Barr give a talk on "The Amazing Geological History of Nova
Scotia". The presentation will be an illustrated tour of the geological
history of Nova Scotia, loosely linked to the new (2022) edition of the
Atlantic Geoscience Society's best selling book "The Last Billion Years
- a geological history of the Maritime Provinces of Canada".  It is
based on the rock record as preserved in Nova Scotia and will include
basic information about how we can know so much about events that
happened millions and even billions of years ago!

The meeting will occur on October 17th, starting at 7:00 pm with an
in-person social with tea and treats, followed by a meeting and
presentation at 7:30 pm.

Location: In-person in Wolfville (Wolfville Lions Club, 36 Elm Ave) &
online on Zoom (register here [2]).

SUNDAY OCTOBER 23 AT 10:00 AM: EXPLORING THE LIFE OF A BEAVER FIELD TRIP
- MEET AT BLACK RIVER COMMUNITY HALL

Fall is a great time to get outside and explore our natural world! Join
the BNS for a field trip through the woods and along a pond to explore a
large beaver dam on Sunday October 23 at 10:00 am. Led by Carolyn Green,
we will make our way through the 200 acre property of the Lorax
Woodlands, up the brook trail to a pond which has been created by a
large beaver dam. We will view the dam and beaver hut. We'll also keep
our eye out for other interesting observations we may encounter.

Parking at the Black River Community Hall, 989 Deep Hollow Road.
Please register here: https://forms.gle/eHYvdzzLusCoPQQXA

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._

Links:
------
[1] https://goo.gl/maps/Dzfye5eyhQ5T4ad57
[2]