[BNS_members] Monthly Meeting - Manta: Secret Life of Devil Rays

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Mon Feb 13 19:35:19 CST 2023

Good evening,

The monthly meeting of the Blomidon Naturalists Society will be held on
Monday February 20th at 7:30 pm in-person in Wolfville at the Wolfville
Curling Club and online on Zoom.

Date: Monday February 20th (3rd Monday of the month)

Time: 7:30 pm meeting commences, with introductions, nature notes,
discussion, and updates followed by a presentation. 7:00 pm social with
tea prior to the meeting.

Location: In-person upstairs at the Wolfville Curling Club (22 Elm Ave)
or online on Zoom (registration here:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwvfuCppjsuGNETR1oAtZJUCuAo0N4hXnxz)
[1]

Presenter:

  Dr. Guy Stevens is the Chief Executive and Founder of the Manta Trust,
[2] a UK and US registered charity dedicated to the conservation of
manta and devil rays (mobulids), with collaborative projects in over 25
countries. He has spent the last 20 years studying mobulids all over the
world and is one of the foremost experts on these species. We are also
super grateful to have Guy on the BNS Board providing his insight,
experience, and energy to our work!

Presentation: Manta - Secret Life of Devil Rays!

_What are Manta Rays?_

Manta and devil rays are some of the most beautiful, fascinating, and
enigmatic creatures in our oceans. Close relatives of all sharks and
rays, these cartilaginous, filter-feeding fish range throughout the
tropical and sub-tropical oceans of the world. Born into a life of
perpetual motion, they can never stop moving, as they must keep water
flowing over their gills to respire. Their daily and seasonal movements
are tuned to the ebb and flow of the ocean currents that breathe life
into their world, bearing the planktonic food upon which they depend.

_The Gentle Giants of the Sea_

Manta rays are giants of their kind, with the largest individuals
reaching seven metres in width and weighing up to two tonnes. Despite
their colossal presence, manta rays are gentle creatures. They have the
largest brain of all fishes, and their intelligence and curiosity make
encounters with manta rays a truly magical experience. It is little
wonder that for many years they have been well known and loved by the
SCUBA diving community. More recently, they have also found mainstream
popularity with a wider, global audience, featuring in wildlife
documentaries such as the BBC's Blue Planet II. Their obvious intellect
and complex social interactions set manta rays apart from other fishes,
but as they have only been scientifically studied in detail for around a
decade, much of their life history remains a mystery.

Guy's presentation will cover the taxonomy, biology, and behavioural
ecology of this family of rays, as well as discussing the major threats
to these species globally, and the conservation work and Guy and his
colleagues are doing at the Manta Trust.

We are excited to have a unique talk and to know that learning about
species and conservation work has broad-ranging insights, implications
and lessons for global biodiversity conservation and policy, including
perhaps even here in Nova Scotia, as we live within an interconnected
world of ecological and climate crises and the need to research and
protect our natural world.

Reef Manta Ray, Mobula alfredi, Mass Feeding Event, Hanifaru Bay, Baa
Atoll, Maldives (c) Guy Stevens, Manta Trust 2009.
--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._

Links:
------
[1]
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwvfuCppjsuGNETR1oAtZJUCuAo0N4hXnxz