[BNS_members] Fwd: Climate Action Opportunity - Important Course Case

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Mon Jan 23 08:12:09 CST 2023

And while we are on the topic of climate action, an Annapolis Valley
committed climate and forestry activist Joan Norris has an important
action invitation.  Please read her message below and get in touch with
her if you are able to join in.

--

Dear Climate Caring People

Hi, my name is Joan Norris and I am a member of our old and post Covid
new Climate Circles groups.

It's easy to get depressed over the state of the world right now. We can
stay home and wring our hands or we can try to do something about it.
I'm writing to you today to let you know about an amazing opportunity we
Nova Scotians have to make a huge difference in our fight against
climate change. You've probably heard how the Bay du Nord project has
been given approval by Steven Guilbealt, Federal Minister of
Environment. This massive deep sea drilling venture will have  the
ability to extract up to a _Billion_ barrels of crude oil from beneath
the deep sea, 500 kilometres off the coast of Newfoundland. The approval
came just days after an alarming  UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change warned that simply cutting emissions was no longer enough to curb
the climate crisis and the United Nations chief called funding new
fossil fuel projects "moral and economic madness."

Shame on Canada! But what can you do? Well, in this case, each of us can
play an important part in reversing that horrid decision. Ecojustice, an
environmental law firm is taking the government to court on behalf of
several environmental organizations, and guess what? The preliminary
hearing is taking place on Feb 1st & 2nd in Halifax starting at 9:30 am
and we have been invited by Ecojustice to pack the courthouse! Yes,
Ecojustice wants YOU! Now that Covid restrictions have been lifted, we
are allowed full capacity in the courtroom. something that I didn't have
when I was arrested a couple of years ago for interfering with a
clearcut near Weymouth NS. I was one of nine protesters arrested and
Ecojustice swooped in and defended us, pro bono, because that's what
they do.

Now, for me, its payback time. Will you join me and others at the
Halifax courthouse February 1st? I think it would be a tragedy if only a
few people showed up and would send a message to the court that nobody
really cares. I don't know if Ecojustice contacted just me  or others. I
sure hope they contacted others, but we may be the only ones. So please,
please consider joining us! You can make a difference by just being
there!

Please contact me joan.norris60 at gmail.com if you can come. We'll
organize carpools for both dates.

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._