[BNS_members] Weekend Events- What's On & What's Postponed

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Thu Jun 1 14:18:05 CDT 2023

Good day,

As you know, nature and outdoor programming is shifting significantly
right now as we adjust to the ban on all forest activities and do our
part to care for our communities and lands in these hard times.

Here are some updates for community & BNS events this weekend.

Saturday June 3: Native Plant Sale at Acadia University is ON

The Native Plant Sale at the Harriet Irving Botanical Gardens is on, but
no longer happening in the wooded areas of the Gardens due to high fire
risk. Instead, the sale will take place in the garden room, conservatory
and walled garden. Staff, volunteers and signage will be on site to
direct.

You can find the Blomidon Naturalists and our Butterflway Project there
with resources on creating habitat for pollinators and wildlife! Help
support biodiversity by growing native plants in your home garden. A
variety of native perennials grown by Friends of the Acadian Forest
volunteers from seed collected at the Harriet Irving Botanical Gardens
will be available in the $5 price range. There will also be native
trees, shrubs, perennials and grasses from: Baldwin's Nurseries, Beneath
the Boughs Woodland Plant Nursery and LaHave Drumlins Native Plant
Nursery. Additional vendors and groups alongside the BNS include Helping
Nature Heal, Nova Scotia Invasive Species Council and Valley
Waste-Resource Management.

Saturday June 3, 9:00 am to noon. Harriet Irving Botanical Gardens,
Acadia University. More details here. [1]

Saturday June 3: World Environment Day in Kentville is POSTPONED

The World Environment Day in Kentville hosted by the Kentville Rotary
and many organizations and groups in Oakdene Park from 11:00 am to 3:00
pm is POSTPONED due to the fire risk and new restrictions. A new date
will be announced at some point. The BNS and Flying Squirrel Adventures
look forward to participating when this event happens again.

Saturday June 3 & Sunday June 4: Appreciating the Acadian Forest Course
is POSTPONED

As already noted to all participants, Soren's Acadian Forest course at
the Ross Creek Centre for the Arts is postponed until later notice. We
will provide an update when we can on a new time for this pilot course.

Monday June 5: Swift Night Out is ON

Join the BNS and Birds Canada on Monday night for a talk on the
endangered chimney swifts and to walk the spectacle as they descend into
the chimney to roost at night! This is a national count night and we
invite everyone out to learn about and see the swifts in Wolfville!

Join us Monday June 5 at 7:30 pm at the Robie Tufts Nature Centre to
learn about swifts. We will also go over to Acadia University to watch
the swifts there at 8:10 pm given that they have been roosting in that
chimney more reliably.

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._

Links:
------
[1] https://fb.me/e/2v8Y6zRtu