[BNS_members] Birding Fun: Field Trip & Course Coming Up!

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Tue May 16 15:12:57 CDT 2023

Good day,

We have two birding events on the horizon, as it is such a fun time of
year to be out in the woods! Indeed, thanks to Pat Kelly for leading a
walk at the Laurie Saulnier trail on this past Saturday, a lovely new
trail for many and with Blackburnian, magnolia and yellow-rumped
warblers, ovenbirds, an American redstart, and more!

If you are keen to get outside birding and learning about birds, check
out the following events:

Saturday May 20 - Palmeter's Woods Birding Field Trip

May 20 at 8:00 am, in Kentville with birder and trip leader Guy Stevens.
Casual walk (likely 2-4 km) exploring the woods.
A great way to start the day with birdsong. Open to all levels of
birders. Bring your binoculars if you have them.

Details & sign up here. [1]

Saturday May 28 - Birding by Ear Field Course
May 28 at 9:00 am, all day, Ross Creek Centre for the Arts.
With James Churchill, an experienced birder who you will know from
wonderful BNS talks and for his work with the Atlantic Canada
Conservation Data Centre.

This course will teach participants about listening to birds songs and
call notes, and how to associate them with specific species of birds.
The vast majority of bird species vocalize and decoding their sounds can
increase our awareness of bird age, behaviour, mating status, quality,
bird community diversity, and help us detect and identify new species.
This one-day workshop is geared towards building "earbirding" skills
through better understanding of sound, describing and categorizing bird
songs and learning tips and tricks that will help you solve vocal
mysteries in your backyard or on any of your birding adventures. The
workshop will involve a combination of class work and field work in the
hardwood and mixed wood forest on the North Mountain on the Ross Creek
trails to apply skills. This workshop is aimed at those with a beginner
or intermediate level of earbirding experience desiring to develop or
further their skills. A great way to level-up your birding skills!
This is happening in conjunction with the fabulous _Celebration of
Nature_ events all weekend. We are celebrating with many local hikes (as
previously circulated: Jim Wolford Memorial Hike on Saturday May 27 and
a Kingsport Beach Walk on Sunday May 28, details here [2]) and this
wonderful day-long birding course! Join us outside!

Registration and details here. [3]

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._

Links:
------
[1] https://forms.gle/jiWL93ZqwYeXNMWi6
[2]