[BNS_members] October e-Newsletter

Soren Bondrup-Nielsen soren at bondrup.com
Wed Oct 4 07:26:31 CDT 2023

*e-Newsletter*

*October 2023*

This e-newsletter is a quite different from previous ones – it has not been
created by Caroline Beddoe. As you may know, Caroline started a master's
degree in planning at Dalhousie this fall.  She is greatly missed but we
have hired a new student, Spencer Laing, to take up the co-ordinator role;
he starts October 9, just around the corner.

            We are looking forward to an exciting fall with various
presentations, field trips, and courses. Also, those of you who are paid
members of the BNS will have received an email through our new membership
portal where you can access your membership status, edit your address and
renew your membership. Membership renewal will be 1 December and you will e
receiving a reminder. Payment can be made by credit card directly through
the portal or you may choose to pay by check or e-transfer. Keeping track
of members the old way was rather tedious and often led to problems. We
hope that with this new tool it will become less cumbersome and up to date.

We hope you have a wonderful fall.

·       Come help measure the hemlocks in Wolfville, led by Soren
Bondrup-Nielsen, Oct. 7-8, Wolfville, time and place TBA. Our hemlocks are
being attacked by an invasive beetle. Help assess what we should do. Info
will be sent out.

·       *Lichens Foundations & Field Course,* Sunday, Oct. 15, with Alain
Belliveau. 10am-4pm, Ross Creek Centre for the Arts. Registration required
with fee.

·       *Nature Talk—From Rocks to Wildflowers,* Tuesday, Oct. 17, 7:30-9
pm, Carol Donaldson & Howard Williams. In partnership with the Valley
Gardeners Association, Wolfville Lions Club and on Zoom.

·       *Chain Lakes Wilderness Area Field Trip, *Saturday, Oct. 21, led by
Peter Wallace & Carolyn Green, 10 am-4 pm, Southwest Kings County. Explore
old growth forest pockets in the BNS proposed wilderness area.

·       *Fun with Fungi Foundations & Field Course,* Saturday Oct. 28, with
Dr. Allison Walker. 10 am-4 pm, Ross Creek Centre for the Arts.
Registration required with fee.

Details & registration for above events at: blomidonnaturalists.ca

*Programs for Children* (*registration at: flyingsquirreladventures.ca
<http://flyingsquirreladventures.ca>)*

·       Earth Adventurers Challenge: Ends Oct. 15, Free Family adventures
with activity guides, adventure kits and tremendous prizes. Celebration
BBQ, Oct. 29, VCLA Community Hub, Oakdene Ave., Kentville.

·       Mountain Make Believe… West Brooklyn, ages 5-11, creativity and
free expression in nature. MWF after school + 2 inservice days

·       Duke of Edinburgh Youth Leadership Program (13-16 yrs)

*Join the Blomidon Naturalists e-news, and follow us on social media to
learn about upcoming opportunities. Events are open to all and free unless
noted.*

*Chain Lakes Wilderness Area Field Trip**, *Saturday, Oct. 21, led by Peter
Wallace & Carolyn Green, 10 am-4 pm, Southwest Kings County.

This will be an off-trail excursion into the new protected area being
proposed by the BNS. You will get to explore and wander through some of the
very few small pockets of old growth forest in Kings County, with lots of
interesting plants, trees and creatures. You will be traversing small paths
and some bushwhacking. We have done the route before and will avoid
thickets. You should be in reasonable walking shape and we will cover
around five km. Bring good footwear, a daypack, lunch, and clothes for any
weather eventuality. Include binoculars as we can also document species we
observe in the area.

The trip is free, but space is limited and you must reserve a spot ahead by
e mailing: Peter.Wallace at Dal.Ca. Peter will follow up with more details for
the day.

The picture below was taken on a trip to this area in June. Peter and
Carolyn are in yellow and red.