[BNS_members] Call for volunteers

Kent Williams kent.williams at acadiau.ca
Thu Oct 5 05:12:22 CDT 2023

Hi Soren,

Thanks for the note.

As I spoke to here (below) is our upcoming sustainable development event that some of our members might be interested in.

Please reach out if there are questions, people can register through the QR code. If you could please share this with the membership.

Kind regards,

~Kent

Thriving Futures 2023

Thriving Futures 2023 is a sustainable development project happening at Dalhousie University in partnership with Halifax Public Libraries, focusing on co-creating resilientcommunities to embrace thriving futures.

Our Thriving Futures 2023 Halifax Central Library event invites community members into meaningful conversations that explore seeds and scenarios to enable thriving futures through sustainable development frameworks (e.g., United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals). How do we embrace challenges, like good health and well-being, housing, severe weather events, loss of green spaces in our communities, etc. During our time together we will use dialogue, the arts, and nourishing food and refreshments to co-inspire pathways for action.

 “We hereby invite our Dalhousie and interconnected communities to engage in conversations that matter in the Thriving Futures 2023 event on Oct. 20-21 at the Halifax Central Library.”

Time & Location

Friday 20th October 2023 from 9am – 4pm ADT

Saturday 21st October 2023 from 9am – 1:30pm ADT

Halifax, 5440 Spring Garden Rd., Halifax, NS B3J 1E9, Canada.

More about the event:

In September 2015, near all countries of the world adopted the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the 2030 Agenda to respond to the global growing inequalities, climate emergency and nature in crisis, that is leaving the Earth and all life on the planet susceptible to looming doom, with a projected climatic disaster if no action is taken. Considering, this call to action has been woven into local and global strategies at both the micro and macro levels. Universities are playing a critical role in contributing to the Sustainable Development (SD) by bridging the knowledge gaps and achieving the SDGs through research, education, practice, and community engagement.

About our study: Through a mixed method case study approach, a team of researchers look to explore the question, “How do we deeply engage DAL community voices and span boundaries within Halifax to interact, co-create, and co-inspire actions towards climate action and sustainable development by (re)imagining desired futures?” We will employ research methods integrating a combination of surveys, expressive arts, and focus group discussions.

Conversations will respond to:

ho and where are we as a community in our sustainability thinking and practice?

ow do we inclusively engage community members in this desired future process?

ow can we interweave non-western alternative knowledge frameworks with scientific knowledge frameworks to enable new ways of thinking for climate change action?

ow do we let go of old stories that bind us and create openness to new possibilities?

ow can community members and institutions of power commit to achieving outlined desired futures?

We look forward to your participation––day participation is welcomed!

Kent A. Williams, DSocSci (pronouns: he/him)
Assistant Professor in Impact & Leadership Studies
Associate Editor for the Handbook of Sustainable Blue Economy
Primary Investigator - SSHRC Insight Grant - A Case Study: Exploring Inclusive Sustainable Pathways in a University
Primary Investigator - SSHRC Partners Engage Grant - A Community Partnership: Co-creating, Enabling, and (Re)imaging Desired Futures
PRME NA Steering Committee Member - Research Collaborations

F.C. Manning School of Business
Acadia University
M: 902.719.5323
kent.williams at acadiau.ca

Acadia sits on the traditional and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq. We are all treaty people and of this planet. This land acknowledgements reminds me to sense the life of the land under my feet and recognize our interconnection and reciprocal relationship with the biosphere, and how I can show up differently in this respect.