[BNS_members] Reminder of Upcoming Events with the BNS!

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Wed Sep 6 05:46:57 CDT 2023

Good morning,

A reminder of some upcoming nature events:

September 9: Kentville World Environment Day!

Originally scheduled for June but rescheduled due to weather, join the
Kentville Rotary club and various environmental and community groups on
September 9th from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm in Oakdene Park, Kentville.

This free, open-to-all event in the park celebrates nature and the
environment by bringing together diverse environmental exhibitors to
share information and education. Special children's events & workshops!
Free plants, shrubs, and seed packages until supplies last. Free Lunch &
Snacks (bring your own bowl). Flying Squirrel Adventures & the BNS will
be there in the park celebrating nature connection, education, and
protection! At the Flying Squirrel Adventures table we will host a
nature art station for all ages where folks can drop in to create a
canvas on shells, rocks or paper using natural paint brushes found at
Oakdene. Stop by and say hi to learn more about local nature and get
some resources at the BNS table, too.

September 10: Looking Closer: Pollinators, Plants & Photography! -
Workshop

The Butterflyway Project is hosting a fun and informative day-long
workshop! Learn all about native plants, wildlife-friendly gardening,
pollinators, and how to monitor and photograph nature with Carolyn
Green, Pam Heron & Garry Conway on September 10th.

Registration is limited and required:
https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/blomidon-naturalists-society/events/looking-closer-pollinators-plants-and-photography/

September 16: All Ages & Family Birding at Miner's Marsh!

Join us for a morning of kid- and family-friendly birding and
conservation action at this popular park right in Kentville!

Join Nature Nova Scotia, Blomidon Naturalists Society, and Flying
Squirrel Adventures on Sept 16th from 10:00 am to noon for a leisurely
guided walk around Miner's Marsh in Kentville. We'll practice using
binoculars, learn about bird behaviour and songs, and discuss ways we
can be better bird stewards at home, at school, and at work.

More details & registration (free) here:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/family-birding-at-miners-marsh-kentville-tickets-667530560877?utm_source=eventbrite&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=event_reminder&utm_term=eventname

September 19: Monthly Meeting & Nature Talk

Join the BNS as our monthly meetings & nature talk series returns in
September!

We will have our monthly meeting in-person in Wolfville and online on
Zoom during the third week of the month, on Tuesday September 19th
starting at 7:00 pm with a social, and with the talk from 7:30 pm - 9:00
pm.

We will meeting at the Lions Club in Wolfville and online on Zoom
(register for the Zoom here:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUuf-6qrTsrG90tOP5aHsauHkVBkCEvDDAe)
The Lions Club is located at 36 Elm Ave, and is on the main level and is
wheelchair accessible.

Please note the Tuesday date (as opposed to the 3rd Monday of the month
- we will provide an update shortly on the other fall meeting times
based on pending location availability).

For our September meeting, we are delighted to have Suzie Currie present
on her research with a talk entitled, "How the social life of fish
influences responses to climate warming". Dr. Suzie Currie is at Acadia
University. and she is interested in how animals cope with environmental
stress in marine and freshwater environments. More details coming!

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._