[BNS_members] Valley nature news & on-line events - April 2020 (re-send)

Judy Lipp judylipp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 04:46:01 CDT 2020

Hello,
apologies for any reposting, but in case you are not on the Flying Squirrel
Adventures mailing list, I wanted to send you the latest Valley Nature News
& Events newsletter.  Its geared at nature lover of all ages.  There may be
some helpful details here for the upcoming Backyard Bioblitz.

I encourage you to sign up for this monthly compilation via the website
or you can e-mail me directly to request being included and I will make
sure you receive these monthly updates.

Stay well, Judy

Helping you connect in the age of isolation
View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/f203bcd0991f/nature-party-and-other-exciting-october-events-3989241?e=e1aa0ee2c4>
VALLEY NATURE NEWS & ACTIVITIES

Where flowers bloom so does hope.

*-Lady Bird Johnson *
*Nature Happenings around the Annapolis Valley*
brought to you by Flying Squirrel Adventures & Friends
*April 2020*
*NATURE NUGGET*
Broom Crowberry* -* *Corema conradii*

Broom Crowberry is a small evergreen shrub in the heather family that grows
in sandy disturbed areas. In Nova Scotia, it is found in sand barrens of
Annapolis/Kings Counties, and along coastal heathlands on the Atlantic
Coast. Watch for small pink flowers in late April. It's small fruits are
dispersed by ants, so if you see a plant growing by itself, thank an ant!

Photo credit: Ian Manning
*Staying Nature & Community Connected in the Covid era*

We hope you are staying well and adapting reasonably well to our current
reality.  Nature and community connection are more important than ever and
we are working on a few things to help folks with both. If you are
fortunate to have a garden and close-by green spaces we encourage you to
get out as much as possible.  As spring emerges there is lots to see
outside and ample opportunities on-line for learning about nature in your
backyard and local area.  We are promoting the Maritime Backyard Bioblitz
on the weekend and co-hosting an 'Ask the Expert' session next Tuesday to
help you learn more about what you observed and to connect to other nature
lovers (see details below).

One question we've been grappling with is "how do we get nature to people
if people can't get to nature?". One solution we are working on is a series
of Nature Activity Kits that can be delivered to households where getting
out is either not possible or not a familiar/comfortable practice. We have
three types of kits we will start delivering next week in collaboration
with one of our community partners: nature crafts, a mindfulness garden and
a grow kit with native seeds.

And this week (April 22) marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day. We
encourage you to celebrate our amazing home by giving back to the Earth.
You can plant a garden, hug a tree, pick up some trash, hang a bird feeder,
conduct some citizen science, etc.
*Upcoming Events & Activities (close to home)*
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=8c503ec232&e=e1aa0ee2c4>

*Maritimes Backyard Bioblitz April 24-27th *

Join a global community of nature lovers outside on the last weekend in
April to observe and record nature in your yard and/or neighborhood.  Since
we can't get together in the Ravine, we’re encouraging you to conduct a
mini bioblitz in your neck of the woods instead.  Get outside and take some
pictures of the life around you, then submit them to iNaturalist. Everyone
is welcome; get the whole family involved!  Follow these 3 steps:

1) Download the https://inaturalist.ca/
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=4aa2087b93&e=e1aa0ee2c4>
app for your phone or computer
2) Observe nature (i.e. take photos of plants, animals & fungus that catch
your eye)
3) Upload and share your photos on the Annapolis Valley page
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=20c2edea4c&e=e1aa0ee2c4>

**Never used iNaturalist? Watch this 80 second video
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=4cf195957c&e=e1aa0ee2c4>
on how to upload your observations

You can find more details about this event from our friends at the Clean
Annapolis River Project
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=3eb3cdf3b9&e=e1aa0ee2c4>
*Ask the Expert: Nature Interpretation Webinar*
*Tuesday April 28, 10:00 - 11:00 am*
Wondering about that strange new species in your back yard or perhaps you
captured a photo of a beautiful lichen for the bioblitz and you'd like to
know more.  Join a panel of local naturalists and biologists who can answer
your questions. We are co-hosting an interactive webinar for all ages.
Prize draw for those who submit photos in advance and register for the live
event.
E-mail *katiemclean at annapolisriver.ca <katiemclean at annapolisriver.ca>* by
end of day Monday April 27th. Can't join live?  We'll share a link for
later viewing.
*BNS Members Meeting via Zoom*
*Monday April 27, 7:30 pm*
Locating Old Growth Forests in the Valley & other exciting student research
will be presented + time for participants to share and connect via live
webinar. Check
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=d249005978&e=e1aa0ee2c4>the
BNS site for the Zoom link.
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=74c824961c&e=e1aa0ee2c4>
*Spot Gloria the Glider*
Can you find the Flying Squirrel Adventures mascot in the photo below?  We
gave you a clear view in the second picture so you know what she looks
like. Do you know what flowers she is examining in the first photo?
ABOUT FLYING SQUIRREL ADVENTURES
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=1962c7b3ee&e=e1aa0ee2c4>

Flying Squirrel Adventures is a free outdoor nature program for young and
old in the heart of the Valley.

We help facilitate learning about nature IN nature by bringing people
together to share, play and explore. We will help you connect with nature
and a community of nature lovers through games, activities, discussions,
workshops and more!

The Flying Squirrel is a symbol of being curious and having fun in
nature! Also, the flying squirrel is active all through the year, and is
very social and hangs out with a group. Just like us!

For updates between newsletters follow us on Facebook!
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=8a502ff94e&e=e1aa0ee2c4>
THANKS TO OUR NATURE LOVING PARTNERS AND SUPPORTERS:
[image: Facebook]
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=5218969e32&e=e1aa0ee2c4>
[image: Website]
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=8765a20a74&e=e1aa0ee2c4>
[image: Facebook]
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=65931f129d&e=e1aa0ee2c4>
[image: Website]
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=4575aec6ef&e=e1aa0ee2c4>
*Copyright © 2019 Flying Squirrel Adventures, All rights reserved.*
This is the email list for participants and friends of FSA. It is used to
send notifications about upcoming FSA events, and other nature-oriented
events in the Annapolis Valley.

*Our mailing address is:*
Blomidon Naturalist Society
P.O. Box 2350, Wolfville
Nova Scotia  B4P 2N5

You can update your preferences
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/profile?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=42b20259b9&e=e1aa0ee2c4>
or unsubscribe from this list
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=42b20259b9&e=e1aa0ee2c4&c=ecb91c0ceb>.

This email was sent to judylipp at gmail.com
*why did I get this?*
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/about?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=42b20259b9&e=e1aa0ee2c4&c=ecb91c0ceb>
    unsubscribe from this list
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=42b20259b9&e=e1aa0ee2c4&c=ecb91c0ceb>
    update subscription preferences
<https://gmail.us3.list-manage.com/profile?u=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&id=42b20259b9&e=e1aa0ee2c4>
Flying Squirrel Adventures · 2705 Long Point Road · Berwick, Ns B0P 1E0 ·
Canada

[image: Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=20d4fcb0c723a502ca6a2bf60&afl=1>

--
Judy Lipp
Program Coordinator