[BNS_members] Members update

Riley Scanlan rileyscanlan16 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 08:38:13 CDT 2020

Hi everyone,

Here are a few interesting events and news stories:

The Nova Scotia Bird Society is holding a meeting via ZOOM on October 29th
at 7:00pm:
"I am really excited to welcome Richard Stern back for an encore
presentation of Hawk Identification.  This presentation is packed with
information that will help you distinguish among accipters, buteos, and
falcons and even advance your ability to pinpoint species. If you find
identifying hawks difficult because they are often far away and only offer
in-flight views, this membership meeting is for you.
If you are new to ZOOM, you can find excellent resources for installing and
learning to use it at the ZOOM website https://zoom.us/signin or on
YouTube. There is no charge for using Zoom but you will need a high-speed
internet connection. You can also call into the meeting on your mobile or
landline.
If you wish to test your connection and work out potential technical issues
in advance of the meeting, please join the meeting at 6:00pm.  Holly
Dempsey, my daughter (in-law) and zoom expert, has agreed to join us from
6:00 to 6:50.  After that, I will try to help to the extent I can without
interrupting the flow of the meeting."
Howard is hosting the highway clean up *this Sunday, Nov 1 @ 9:00am:*

The group will meet at the Elderkins parking lot on Main St, in the west
end of Wolfville. Remember to bring masks, gloves, stout footwear and
raingear if slightly wet. Hazard jackets and bags will be provided. If
there is heavy rain, the following Sunday November 8th will be the
alternate date.
No children under 15 are allowed to participate and we are limiting the
group size to a dozen participants total. It is expected this clean-up will
take about 2 - 3 hours, depending on the number of registrants. More people
= less time!
You *must register in advance* here: https://forms.gle/vLtPAH8acspD3oPf7
Lastly, a group of Canadian children and teens have filed a lawsuit against
the federal government, claiming our leaders have not done enough to
protect against climate change. Read this article to learn about the
court's recent decision, and how this set back will not deter this
passionate group of youth:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/climate-change-lawsuit-fails-dismissed-1.5778952
If you have any news stories or local events you think would be of interest
to the BNS membership, feel free to email me and I will pass it along.

Happy trails,
Riley