[BNS_members] Fundraiser and Hemlock Woolly Adelgid

Riley Scanlan rileyscanlan16 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 10:46:27 CDT 2021

Hi everyone,

Our friends at the Jijuktu'kwejk Watershed Alliance are trying to raise
money to pay for summer restoration work on the Jijuktu'kwejk (Cornwallis
River) in Kings County. Special focus this summer is being put on
identifying and restoring thermal refugia habitat (springs that provide
cool water in summer, and reduced ice-cover in winter).

Money will be raised through the sale of raffle tickets on a canoe. Tickets
are available online only at the following link:
https://www2.rafflebox.ca/raffle/jwa. To learn more about their work, go to
their website here <https://jijuktukwejkwatershedalliance.wordpress.com/>.

Also, a few weeks ago Soren led a field trip to teach people how to survey
for Hemlock Woolly Adelgid. Our hope is to 'train' people to go out and
monitor stands for HWA, so we can better understand the spread. Information
on this is available on the website:
If you go to the BNS site <https://blomidonnaturalists.ca/>, you will see
'Community Projects' in the menu, then click on Hemlock Woolly Adelgid.
This will take you to Soren's website (click here
<https://www.bondrup.com/hwa.html>) which has a number of great resources
on the invasive species and surveying. If you would like to get involved or
learn how to survey, let us know.

All the best,
Riley