[BNS_members] Dec. Monthly Meeting (& More)

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Mon Dec 6 16:40:44 CST 2021

Good (well, quite damp) evening everyone,

A few things to note and some other thoughts...

Given that we are into December, the monthly meeting will be in a week's
time on the _second_ Monday of the month to allow for holidays and
merrymaking. JOIN US VIA ZOOM NEXT MONDAY, DECEMBER 13TH AT 7:30 PM TO
HEAR FROM MATTHEW SMITH ABOUT "PROTECTING ECOLOGICAL INTEGRITY IN A TIME
OF CHANGE."

Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site is at the centre of
two major threats to biodiversity: invasive species and climate change.
In this talk, Matthew will discuss the impact of these threats to native
biodiversity, species at risk and ecological integrity. Learn how
conservation actions and restoration in partnership with Indigenous
communities are providing hope in a time of great ecological change.

Register for the Zoom here. [1] (Don't worry, I'll send a reminder
closer to the date! And we will record the presentation if you cannot
make it.)

Thanks so very much to all who supported and shared our BUTTERFLYWAY
PROJECT campaign last week for Giving Tuesday! Your support and
encouragement for this exciting project is so valuable and appreciated.
While I am personally a lover of winter, the thought of blooming flowers
is making me excited, so thanks for your continued support for this BNS
project and there is a lot more to come...!

Members of the BNS board have collaborated (on behalf of whom Soren and
I have signed) on a response to the draft _Old-Growth Forest Policy for
Nova Scotia _that the provincial government has opened to PUBLIC
FEEDBACK UNTIL DECEMBER 8TH. I have attached it below. In short, we feel
that the policy falls short on protecting old-growth forests in that it
should be legislation not policy, be less easy to renege upon (and with
that, less easy to remove protection from forests), have a broader scope
for what forests can be protected, engage private landowners and the
public more robustly, and more.

Also, Heather let me know that THE AL WHITTLE THEATRE IS SHOWING AN
AWARD-WINNING DOCUMENTARY ON CLIMATE JUSTICE, "DEAR FUTURE CHILDREN,"
THIS COMING WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 8TH AT 7:00 PM. Very relevant to these
times, this may be of interest to many members seeking inspiration and
action on the climate crisis, and looks like a powerful film. Tickets
are $11.50 (including HST) at the door, masks and proof of vaccination
required. One review says, "_This is a film I waited for a long time.
Finally this is a brilliant and well-made documentary which gives a
voice to young activists from Uganda, Hong Kong and Chile. __I long
searched for a richly detailed documentary about climate activists and
the way how the audience can connect with the protagonist Nakabuye Hilda
Flavia here is wonderful, entertaining and informative at the same
time."_

Take care,

Caroline

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her
 613-619-1098
 Coordinator, Blomidon Naturalists Society
 Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. This
territory is covered by the "Treaties of Peace and Friendship" which did
not deal with the surrender of lands and resources but in fact
recognized Mi'kmaw title. We want to recognize that outdoor education
and play would not be possible without access to the natural world that
has been stewarded since time immemorial by the many Indigenous peoples
of this land. We acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and
learn about their histories and current cultures and to actively work in
support of reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and
sustainable relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with
all other organisms, with the land and with the water.

Links:
------
[1]
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIocO6srjwpHNMeyut5Igm6-wDAA8_CRYYG