[BNS_members] Monarch - Open house Sunday

Larry Bogan larry at bogan.ca
Tue Jul 27 12:21:18 CDT 2021

Hi all,
   This event will take place outdoors in our back field. We will have
displays of Monarch eggs, larvae, chrysalis, and there will be Monarchs in
the field. ( I counted 35 yesterday)  The field (2 ha) has paths to walk
around the milkweed and explore if you like. We hope you will help us find
chrysalis and larve in the field and mark their location.  Alison and I
will describe what has been going on this year and answer questions you
might have.

At the present time the Monarchs are laying their eggs and we are seeing
more caterpillars in the milkweed. We have had about 20 Monarch eclose
 from chrysalis we have protected inside so far. So we are probably
experiencing a surge in the local population from children of the Monarchs
that arrived in mid-June.

  There are mosquitoes present so bring some insect repellent. Covid
restrictions will be followed for outside recreation events. At the moment
the weather looks OK but if it a rainy day on Sunday the event will be
posponed.

  We look forward seeing you.

Larry

--