[BNS_members] Giving Tuesday: Butterflyway Project

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Tue Nov 30 07:08:30 CST 2021

Hello everyone on this snow-dusted morning,

With a white coating on the landscape around us here in the Valley,
spring blooms and pollinators may be far from mind, but the Butterflyway
Project is planning big things for the spring of 2022 and we are already
starting to work with community members and partners to plan and grow
plants. AND TODAY, WE ARE LAUNCHING A FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN ON THIS
"GIVING TUESDAY" TO HELP SUPPORT SOME OF THE COSTS OF OUR BUTTERFLYWAY
PROJECT.

The Butterflyway Project is an initiative launched by the David Suzuki
Foundation, that is happening across the country. The aim is to plant
pollinator gardens to support pollinator wildlife, biodiversity and
raise awareness about the importance and plight of our local
pollinators. Butterflyway was launched in our area by BNS members Carole
and Carolyn. It is a volunteer-driven project that aims to plant 10
public pollinator gardens in 2022 (2 were planted in Wolfville last
year). A subsequent aim is to promote and support individuals, towns,
and municipalities to designate or plant pollinator patches, to campaign
for less mowing in the spring and less yard clean-up in the fall, and
related pollinator-friendly initiatives.

We know that the holidays are a big time of spending, and Giving Tuesday
provides a counterpoint to the frenzy of sales and consumerism we just
had over the past weekend. It is a day to give a little back to cause
that is important to our community and world.

The BNS is so very grateful for the generous donations of our members
and supporters over the years that help us do community projects such as
this, along with our naturalist programming, environmental conservation
support, and more.

If you or a friend can pledge $5 today to help us plant native
pollinator gardens, we are so grateful as this extra generosity will
help us meet our goals. See our campaign page here [1]. And find more
information on the project on the BNS website here [2]. Please share
with your networks is you so desire.

Thank you!

Caroline on behalf of the Butterflyway Project Committee

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her
 613-619-1098
 Coordinator, Blomidon Naturalists Society
 Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. This
territory is covered by the "Treaties of Peace and Friendship" which did
not deal with the surrender of lands and resources but in fact
recognized Mi'kmaw title. We want to recognize that outdoor education
and play would not be possible without access to the natural world that
has been stewarded since time immemorial by the many Indigenous peoples
of this land. We acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and
learn about their histories and current cultures and to actively work in
support of reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and
sustainable relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with
all other organisms, with the land and with the water.

Links:
------
[1]
https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/blomidon-naturalists-society/campaign/butterflyway-project-public-pollinator-gardens/