[BNS_members] BNS Meeting Wednesday: Biodiversity in the Jijuktu’kwejk Watershed

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Mon Apr 18 06:48:01 CDT 2022

Good sunny morning,

A reminder that this month's meeting is on WEDNESDAY, APRIL 20TH AT 7:30
PM on Zoom.

Please register for the meeting here:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZApdumhpjMsGdGL_UY-NevJfzkNuV2M_Lt5
[1]

The meeting will be recorded for later viewing, and we will have a
closed captioning function enabled.

This month we are excited to have KEELER COLTON AND JONAS GOW FROM THE
JIJUKTU'KWEJK WATERSHED ALLIANCE TALKING ABOUT BIODIVERSITY IN THE
JIJUKTU'KWEJK WATERSHED. The Jijuktu'kwejk ("gee gee WOK tok") Watershed
Alliance is a partnership of citizens and communities from Berwick to
Wolfville in Kings County, with the common vision of a healthy and
sustainable natural environment. Last season, field interns Keeler
Colton and Jonas Gow spent the summer researching and monitoring the
watershed through a series of projects. Some of these projects include
identifying the presence of endangered species such as bank swallows and
Atlantic salmon, assessing beaver activities effect on biodiversity,
water quality monitoring, and identifying cold water fish refuge. Join
us as we discuss the research, biodiversity, and some of the threats the
Jijuktu'kwejk River faces.

Come learn about this local river!

Caroline

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her

 Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. This
territory is covered by the "Treaties of Peace and Friendship" which did
not deal with the surrender of lands and resources but in fact
recognized Mi'kmaw title. We want to recognize that outdoor education
and play would not be possible without access to the natural world that
has been stewarded since time immemorial by the many Indigenous peoples
of this land. We acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and
learn about their histories and current cultures and to actively work in
support of reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and
sustainable relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with
all other organisms, with the land and with the water.

Links:
------
[1]
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZApdumhpjMsGdGL_UY-NevJfzkNuV2M_Lt5