[BNS_members] Get Involved: Environmental Initiatives

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Tue Jan 18 17:11:10 CST 2022

Hi BNS folks,

Thanks to all who joined the monthly meeting last night, and thanks to
Dave Shutler for a great and highly informative talk! (Do we all have a
credit in parasitology now? Though I suppose that might require passing
some tests and spelling some of those long words!)

I'm sending out this email identifying a few opportunities to get
involved with regards to environmental protection, climate action,
greenspace conservation and more. Most of these have a local focus, as
suits the BNS, but I am sharing a national climate action opportunity in
case you have not heard of or engaged with it through other channels.
You may be familiar with the initiatives listed, and may have already
contributed, but I figured I would round up a few initiatives that have
been circulating of late, especially given prompting from BNS members,
just in case!

NATURE NOVA SCOTIA'S SAVE SPECIES AT RISK CAMPAIGN

Nature Nova Scotia is coordinating an effort to get "Save Species at
Risk" signs (see image attached) displayed across the province to show
support for ecological forestry and an end of clear-cutting practices
that jeopardize ecological health, biodiversity and species at risk, in
particular, the mainland moose. FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO REQUEST A
SIGN TO PUT UP IN FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE, SEE HERE. [1] I also have 70-odd
signs at my place in Wolfville and will happily get them to you or
arrange for a pick-up (*once I'm not isolating that is, which hopefully
is soon if the tests keep coming back negative). Shoot me an email if
you are keen!

WOLFVILLE'S EAST END SECONDARY PLANNING STRATEGY

I know there are many BNS members in the Wolfville area, some of whom
are engaged in community discussions on this planning, and so I wanted
to share this opportunity to provide feedback on the proposed east end
planning, especially given THE OPPORTUNITY FOR DISCUSSION AROUND NATURE
PRESERVATION, GREENSPACES, PLANTING OR PRESERVATION OF NATIVE PLANTS,
COMMUNITY SPACES, SUSTAINABLE HOUSING, ETC. The Town of Wolfville has
begun a Secondary Planning Strategy process for two large pieces of land
in the east end of Town, known as the "Kenny Lands" and "Maple Ridge
Lands." Many will be familiar with the Kenny Lands visible from the
look-off at the Reservoir park. I think it is valuable to note that
development doesn't just mean housing (though this is a very pertinent
issue), but also green space, transportation options, community spaces,
etc. I am wondering how BNS values and passions around biodiversity,
pollination, native plants, birds, etc could be integrated into any new
development protocol (e.g maintaining meadows of wildflowers for
pollinators?)...

There are a few ways to provide feedback on the development:

1) Go to Wolfville Blooms [2] and make an account. You can then answer
the survey questions or add comments and ideas in the "ideas" section.
You can see what other folks are thinking too!

2) Email Devin Lake, head planner at dlake at wolfville.ca and/or email the
town council at  Towncouncil at wolfville.ca

PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT ON CANADA'S 2030 EMISSION REDUCTION PLAN

As you may know, the Government of Canada has been accepting public
feedback and consultations on the plan to achieve Canada's greenhouse
gas emissions reduction targets [3]. This consultation opened on
December 14 2022 and closed January 14th 2022 but they have JUST
EXTENDED THE DEADLINE FOR PUBLIC CONSULTATION TO JANUARY 21, 2022 (BY
11:59 P.M. PST)! This is good news because it adds to what was quite a
narrow window during the holiday season.

The _Canadian Net-Zero Emissions Accountability Act_ commits Canada to
being net-zero for GHG emissions by 2050, and as part of this act, the
Minister of Environment and Climate Change (Minister Guilbeault) must
establish a plan to achieve our 2030 GHG emissions reduction targets by
the end of March 2022. The minister must consult with the public and
publish a report on these consultation before the plan is established,
so adding our voices is very important!

HERE IS THE QUESTIONNAIRE FOR THE PUBLIC CONSULTATIONS. [4] Of note to
BNS members, there is a category on "nature-based climate solutions"
(think forest preservation, wetland restoration, conservation) and ample
space to give commentary and add your own thoughts on various topics.
You don't have to respond to every question, you can simply go in and
respond to one issue that speaks to you if you have the time and desire
to do so. I also found it useful to look at this toolkit [5] put
together by a group called Climate Messengers Canada who want to help
break-down the consultation questionnaire to help folks respond.

ARTICLE TO READ & CLIMATE THOUGHTS

...Contributing to climate action work may seem even more important if
you take a look at this BBC article on the melting of the Thwaites
Glacier in Antarctica [6] shared by Ken (thanks!)

As we move ever closer to 2030, I'm reflecting on the fact that the
famous IPCC report on 1.5 degrees of warming came out in 2018 and called
for drastic emissions reductions by 2030, and yet as we enter the third
calendar year of this pandemic, I know many of us are tired and anxious.
But I'm reminded that hope is an action, and that when we act through
various of ways at home, in communities, in groups, in society's like
this one full of people passionate about the natural world, we do have
the all the tools needed to support a vibrant, liveable future. And at a
time when humanity's disconnection from nature feels so desperate, it is
beautiful snowy walks in the woods (like the snowshoe walk this weekend
led by Soren), with curious observation and fascination in the natural
landscape and its inhabitants, that help to keep us connected ... more
of that to come this winter let's hope (snow permitting).

Caroline

Links:
------
[1] https://naturens.ca/actions/order-a-save-species-at-risk-lawn-sign/