[BNS_members] Settler Education Workshop

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Thu Jan 20 13:45:42 CST 2022

Dear BNS members,

The Board (with thanks in particular to Judy) have organized a Settler
Education workshop (with funding from Nature Canada) that will be
facilitated by Dr. Carolyn Campbell from Horizons Community Development
Associates, on Thursday FEBRUARY 10TH, 5:30-8:00 PM, to further our work
around diversity, equity and inclusion.

Currently, the Kentville Recreation Centre has been booked, however we
will make a call sooner to the date if a switch to a 2-hour Zoom session
is required instead in light of Covid rules and safety (this is quite
likely, I'd hazard a guess).

As a naturalist society, we foster connection to the natural world as
well as to others within our community. We are also learning and acting
in Mi'kma'ki, the ancestral and unceded lands of the Mi'kmaq. Hence, it
is important to understand our relationship to the landscape and to
Canadian colonialism, and to explore steps towards reconciliation. As
individuals and as a collective, we can explore our worldviews in order
to open up space for inclusion, respect, reciprocity and change.

This settler education workshop will explore settler identity and
Canada's colonial foundations, and will support non-Indigenous Canadians
in stepping up to our reconciliation responsibilities.

We are capping the registration at 20 participants, and will include
board members and anyone else who seeks to join us. Please see more
information and register here [1] if you are interested in participating
and would like to hold a spot.

Caroline

Links:
------