[BNS_members] Events this Weekend

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Wed Jun 8 06:11:58 CDT 2022

Good morning,

Coming up these weekend we have a few events you may be interested in.

SATURDAY: BIRDING BY EAR COURSE

First up, is our Birding by Ear course. This has been rescheduled and is
now happening SATURDAY JUNE 11TH FROM 10:00 AM TO 4:00 PM up at the Ross
Creek Centre for the Arts. James Churchill will instruct the course
indoors and outdoors, and this workshop is aimed at those with a
beginner or intermediate level of earbirding experience desiring to
develop or further their skills. This one-day course is geared towards
building "earbirding" skills through better understanding of sound,
describing and categorizing bird songs and learning tips and tricks that
will help you solve vocal mysteries in your backyard or on any of your
birding adventures.

THERE ARE STILL SPOTS LEFT! Lunch is included in the course fee. DETAILS
AND REGISTRATION HERE:
HTTPS://WWW.CANADAHELPS.ORG/EN/CHARITIES/BLOMIDON-NATURALISTS-SOCIETY/EVENTS/BIRDING-BY-EAR-COURSE/

SUNDAY: MONARCHS AT THE LIBRARY EVENT

Then join us SUNDAY JUNE 12TH, IN THE AFTERNOON AT 2:00 PM AT THE
WOLFVILLE MEMORIAL LIBRARY for a talk on "Monarchs in the Annapolis
Valley: Habitat, Abundance, and Rearing" by Larry Bogan, who has been
rearing monarchs in a 2 hectare former hay field allowed to grow wild
with milkweed and wild flowers where he sees hundreds of monarchs emerge
each year. We will be giving out monarch butterfly host plants, while
supplies last.

Also, there will be a "Pollinator Pathway" map, supported by Charts
Café, where folks can mark their pollinator gardens so we can
inspire/encourage this type of gardening across the Town and we can get
a sense of the butterfly and other pollinator habitats already here!

Details here:
https://www.valleylibrary.ca/monarchs-annapolis-valley-habitat-abundance-and-rearing

Indoors if the weather is inclement, otherwise this event will be
outside.

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._