[BNS_members] Monthly Meeting Tonight at 7:30 pm

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Mon Jun 20 07:48:02 CDT 2022

Good morning,

A reminder that tonight is our last monthly meeting before our summer
break from meetings in July and August. We hope to return with a hybrid
in-person and online meeting structure in the fall.

Join us at 7:30 pm on Zoom for a meeting & then a talk on COASTAL
EELGRASS BEDS – HOTSPOTS FOR BIODIVERSITY AND CONSERVATION.

Presenter Ryan Stanley, a Fisheries and Oceans Canada biologist at the
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, will present at our June monthly
meeting. Ryan will talk about eelgrass beds, their incredible diversity
and using eDNA technology to capture this biodiversity. Ryan will give a
talk on the Canadian Marine Protected Area Program and will review the
challenges of establishing and monitoring a national network of
protected areas. He will introduce eelgrass as a focus of this national
conservation network, reviewing the ecosystem services they provide and
the biodiversity they support. He will discuss a recent application of
environmental DNA as a novel and exciting tool for biodiversity
monitoring within these important and sensitive ecosystems!

Register for the Zoom here:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwof--pqD4tE9EQqS9z_WeuO8j6UbBTnoBE

Happy almost Summer Solstice!

Caroline

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._