[BNS_members] Chimney Swifts Webinar: Recording & Resources!

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Tue Mar 15 12:39:36 CDT 2022

Good afternoon,

Here is the link to the recording of last week's WEBINAR ON CHIMNEY
SWIFTS by Rielle Hoeg from Birds Canada, in case you missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82IryUkjJ4g

It was a great talk (thanks Rielle!) and we had a lot of good discussion
about Chimney Swifts and local roosts at both University Hall and the
Robie Tufts Nature Centre, in Wolfville.

For information on how to learn more about endangered Chimney Swifts and
get involved with the Swift Watch program as they migrate back here this
spring, see the resources below:

MARTIME SWIFTWATCH is a citizen science monitoring and conservation
program that provides volunteers and community groups an opportunity to
act as stewards for Chimney Swifts in their area.

Website: https://www.birdscanada.org/bird-science/swiftwatch/

Email: marswifts at birdscanada.org

National Roost Monitoring Dates for 2022: May 21, May 25, May 29, June
2, June 6

CHIMNEY SWIFTS FUND: The Chimney Swift Chimney Restoration Fund is a
project undertaken by Birds Canada with the financial support of the
Government of Canada. The goal of the Chimney Swift Fund is to help
maintain nesting and roosting sites for the Chimney Swift by providing
financial support for the restoration of structures (i.e., chimneys,
barns, etc.) known to be important for Chimney Swifts. The Chimney Swift
Fund helps address the threat of continued habitat loss to Chimney
Swifts and aids recovery efforts for this species at risk.

Learn more here:
https://www.birdscanada.org/about-us/funding-opportunities/chimney-swift-fund/

Please reach out with any questions,

Caroline

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her

 Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. This
territory is covered by the "Treaties of Peace and Friendship" which did
not deal with the surrender of lands and resources but in fact
recognized Mi'kmaw title. We want to recognize that outdoor education
and play would not be possible without access to the natural world that
has been stewarded since time immemorial by the many Indigenous peoples
of this land. We acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and
learn about their histories and current cultures and to actively work in
support of reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and
sustainable relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with
all other organisms, with the land and with the water.