[BNS_members] Upcoming Monthly Meeting: Lichens of Nova Scotia!

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Wed Mar 16 12:26:14 CDT 2022

Hello,

Our upcoming monthly meeting is next MONDAY MARCH 21ST, AT 7:30 PM
online on Zoom.

This month we are talking all about lichens with guest presenter Dr.
Sean Haughian, of the Nova Scotia Museum. Dr. Haughian will give a talk
on "LICHENS IN NOVA SCOTIA: DIVERSITY, CONSERVATION, AND RESEARCH." Come
learn about these fascinating and important composite organisms!

REGISTER FOR THE ZOOM MEETING IN ADVANCE HERE:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEqdumhqTsoEtdvpalUbQCPzSwEzTSDQnRb

What to expect in the talk:

Nova Scotia boasts a particularly rich and abundant lichen flora,
because of it's perhumid temperate climate and unique ecosystems. But
have you ever stopped to wonder how lichens are doing? In this talk, Dr.
Haughian offers a unique and audience-friendly window into the world of
lichens and lichen research in Nova Scotia. He will provide an overview
of the biology and classification of lichens, and discuss some of the
conservation issues surrounding lichens. In addition, he will share some
of his results from lichen studies over the last three years, including
the large-scale L-ACER experiment that examines clearcut edge influence
and acid pollution impacts on swamp lichen communities, and his more
recent exploration of the canopy lichen communities of old growth
forests.

And a bit about this month's presenter!

Dr. Haughian is the Curator of Botany at the Nova Scotia Museum, and an
interdisciplinary ecologist with experience ranging from plant ecology,
ecosystem management, and biogeography to biodiversity monitoring and
plant-climate interactions. His current research focuses on
biogeographic modeling for species at risk, forest management for
biodiversity, and plant and lichen conservation methods, with an
emphasis on bryophytes of successional habitats and cyanolichens of old
growth forests in Nova Scotia.

See you there (and perhaps many folks will have nature observations of
spring to share!),

Caroline

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her

 Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. This
territory is covered by the "Treaties of Peace and Friendship" which did
not deal with the surrender of lands and resources but in fact
recognized Mi'kmaw title. We want to recognize that outdoor education
and play would not be possible without access to the natural world that
has been stewarded since time immemorial by the many Indigenous peoples
of this land. We acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and
learn about their histories and current cultures and to actively work in
support of reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and
sustainable relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with
all other organisms, with the land and with the water.