[BNS_members] Reminder: Monthly Meeting In-Person & Online this Monday

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Fri Sep 16 13:47:35 CDT 2022

Good afternoon,

A reminder that our MONTHLY MEETING AND PRESENTATION WILL BE MONDAY,
SEPTEMBER 19TH, with the meeting commencing at 7:30 pm (with gathering
prior to the meeting starting at 7:00pm at the Curling Club). The
meeting will be held IN-PERSON AT THE WOLFVILLE CURLING CLUB AND ONLINE
ON ZOOM, so please join us in the way that feels best for you.

DATE AND TIME:

Monday, September 19th

7:00 pm social at the Wolfville Curling Club - tea & treats provided!

7:30 pm meeting and presentation commence

LOCATION:

WOLFVILLE CURLING CLUB *Please note, we will be upstairs. The upstairs
is only accessible by stairs (see attached photos). We apologize for any
accessibility concerns. The main floor is occupied at this time.

OR

ONLINE ON ZOOM. Please register here:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvc-ysqD0qHdSyecogK6m5TMQilmakrA_E
[1]

PRESENTATION:

This month our presenter is PATRICK KELLY, giving a talk entitled "THE
SUN IS NOT AN AVERAGE STAR; THE EARTH IS NOT AN AVERAGE PLANET." Last
year, the BNS focused on biodiversity. This fall, the theme for our
talks is taking a zoomed out lens, through both time and space, to
understand the long history of our natural world and provide a different
perspective to this precious things we call life on earth. So we are
starting with the stars, and later moving to geology, fossil records and
more.

A bit about Pat's talk: Stars and their planets form at the same time,
from large clouds of gas and dust. The vast majority of stars are
smaller, cooler, and less luminous than the Sun.  Almost 5000 exoplanets
have been found so far; very few have properties similar to those of the
Earth, although there are many types. Most people agree you need a
carbon-based chemistry acting in liquid water for life to begin.
Therefore, life on other planets (if it exists!) is expected to be found
in the Goldilocks Zone around their stars, the distance at which a
planet can have liquid water at its surface. This criterion alone rules
out a lot of planets from having "life as we know it".  As it turns out,
there are places in our own solar system with a lot more liquid water
than Earth, so life may be a lot closer than we think!

We look forward to seeing you.

Warmly,

Caroline

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._

Links:
------
[1]
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvc-ysqD0qHdSyecogK6m5TMQilmakrA_E