[BNS_members] FYI Stepping Up: A Learning Journey for Settler Canadians Fall and Winter Courses

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Fri Sep 30 08:46:56 CDT 2022

Good morning,

Today marks the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, and we honour
residential school survivors, their families and communities, and those
who did not return home. As we reckon with the tragic and ongoing
impacts of residential school and colonization, today is a sombre day of
reflection and commemoration, but also of reconciliation and action.

With that, I wanted to share a Settler Education course that numerous
BNS board members and members took part in back in the winter, as a way
to explore Canadian colonialism and how it informs our relationship to
these lands and communities, and to open up more space for inclusion and
respect. It was thought-provoking, interactive, and well-received by all
who participated. We participated in an abridged workshop on Settler
Education, facilitated by Horizons Community Development Associates [1].

They are offering a full course this fall and again in the winter, with
in-person and online options. Please take a look (details forwarded
below) if you are keen on exploring a way to engage with the truth and
reconciliation process.

Caroline