[BNS_members] Get Involved: SOOF Kings County Campaign

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Wed Jun 21 09:54:24 CDT 2023

Good day,

As you know, we have endorsed the Save Our Old Forests campaign and are
working to spread the petition and protect forests in our area.

Nova Scotia needs old forests. But there aren't many left.  Our
government has made a legal commitment to protect 20% of Nova Scotia's
lands and waters by 2030. The way things are going, the remaining old
forests will be logged before they can be protected.

This is why we are asking our premier for a pause on all harvesting and
roadbuilding in forests over 80 years old on Crown land in Kings County
and across Nova Scotia until such time as protected areas meeting the
20% target have been designated.

More more details on SOOF campaign see here:
https://www.arlingtonforestprotection.ca/soof

Get Involved:

The BNS and the SOOF Kings County group will be at the Wolfville
Farmers' Market Saturday June 24th from 8:30 - 1:00 pm.

We will have brochures, petitions and more. We will be talking about the
SOOF campaign across the province and our work on protected areas.

Would you like to join us? We could use a few more people to come for an
hour or whatever you can spare to chat with market goers, get petition
signatures, or help support our other volunteers? Reply to this email or
call/text me at 613-619-1098. Thanks!

If you want to stay in the loop regarding this work, even if you cannot
support this weekend, please email me as well and we will coordinate.

Warmly,

Caroline

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._