[BNS_members] Short notice but exciting talk on right whales!

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Sat Jun 24 14:06:53 CDT 2023

Good day,

This is very short notice but we have the exciting opportunity to have a
talk on right whales from a PhD researcher at the University of New
Brunswick! Join us on Wednesday evening to learn more about these whales
from Gina Lonati. The talk will be recorded for later viewing.

Wednesday June 28th at 7:00 pm

Online on Zoom

(Zoom link to come - we are having some challenges yet with our
account).

"North Atlantic right whales and other marine mammals in the Bay of
Fundy"

Overview:
With only 340 individuals remaining, North Atlantic right whales are
critically endangered and
need our help. Historically considered the "right" whale to hunt, North
Atlantic right whales
are still facing persistent threats from human activities, including
entanglement in fishing gear
and collisions with vessels. Through a combination of research,
outreach, innovation, and
interdisciplinary management, there is still hope for the species. Gina
will outline the research
and management efforts that involve multiple stakeholders, including
academia, government,
industry, and the public. In addition, she will present about some of
the other charismatic
marine mammal species that can be found out your back door in the Bay of
Fundy.

Biography:
Gina Lonati is a 4th -year PhD student at the University of New
Brunswick Saint John in the lab of
Dr. Kimberley Davies. The goal of her thesis research is to better
understand the health of
North Atlantic right whales in response to prey dynamics and human
impacts, using a
combination of aerial drone sensors and oceanographic sampling.
Originally from New Jersey,
USA, Gina has a B.A. in biology from Bowdoin College in Maine and a
M.Sc. in marine biology
from the University of North Carolina Wilmington. Before moving to Saint
John, she was a
marine mammal biologist in Florida, where she contributed to rescues,
conservation, and
research, particularly for Florida manatees. Gina is a Vanier Canada
Graduate Scholar, a
certified drone pilot in the US and Canada, and has published several
scientific papers on
marine mammal physiology and age estimation. She is also an assistant
coach for the UNBSJ
women's volleyball team and enjoys any outdoor activity that brings her
close to the water!

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._