[BNS_members] Short notice but exciting talk on right whales!

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Sun Jun 25 11:18:08 CDT 2023

The Zoom information for joining the talk on right whales!

Come learn about the extremely endangered North Atlantic right whales.

An exciting opportunity this Wednesday June 28th at 7:00 pm online on
Zoom

Join us for the webinar, "North Atlantic right whales and other marine
mammals in the Bay of Fundy" with researcher Gina Lonati.

Please register here:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZApduqqqD4rG917Vl-4rEiTFQjEw07Tx2cr
[1]

On 2023-06-24 16:06, Caroline Beddoe wrote:

> Good day,
>
> This is very short notice but we have the exciting opportunity to have
> a talk on right whales from a PhD researcher at the University of New
> Brunswick! Join us on Wednesday evening to learn more about these
> whales from Gina Lonati. The talk will be recorded for later viewing.
>
> Wednesday June 28th at 7:00 pm
>
> Online on Zoom
>
> (Zoom link to come - we are having some challenges yet with our
> account).
>
> "North Atlantic right whales and other marine mammals in the Bay of
> Fundy"
>
> Overview:
> With only 340 individuals remaining, North Atlantic right whales are
> critically endangered and
> need our help. Historically considered the "right" whale to hunt, North
> Atlantic right whales
> are still facing persistent threats from human activities, including
> entanglement in fishing gear
> and collisions with vessels. Through a combination of research,
> outreach, innovation, and
> interdisciplinary management, there is still hope for the species. Gina
> will outline the research
> and management efforts that involve multiple stakeholders, including
> academia, government,
> industry, and the public. In addition, she will present about some of
> the other charismatic
> marine mammal species that can be found out your back door in the Bay
> of Fundy.
>
> Biography:
> Gina Lonati is a 4th -year PhD student at the University of New
> Brunswick Saint John in the lab of
> Dr. Kimberley Davies. The goal of her thesis research is to better
> understand the health of
> North Atlantic right whales in response to prey dynamics and human
> impacts, using a
> combination of aerial drone sensors and oceanographic sampling.
> Originally from New Jersey,
> USA, Gina has a B.A. in biology from Bowdoin College in Maine and a
> M.Sc. in marine biology
> from the University of North Carolina Wilmington. Before moving to
> Saint John, she was a
> marine mammal biologist in Florida, where she contributed to rescues,
> conservation, and
> research, particularly for Florida manatees. Gina is a Vanier Canada
> Graduate Scholar, a
> certified drone pilot in the US and Canada, and has published several
> scientific papers on
> marine mammal physiology and age estimation. She is also an assistant
> coach for the UNBSJ
> women's volleyball team and enjoys any outdoor activity that brings her
> close to the water!
>
> --
> Caroline Beddoe
> She/her

> [...]