[BNS_members] Reminder: Webinar on Right Whales Tonight

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Wed Jun 28 07:30:37 CDT 2023

Good morning,

_A reminder of nature webinar tonight at 7:00 pm on Zoom. Details
below..._

There are just over 300 North Atlantic right whales left right now, and
these special and incredibly rare migratory creatures live in our
eastern waters, including the Bay of Fundy, in the summer and fall
especially. What research is happening on these endangered whales? Is
there any hope?

An exciting opportunity to learn about these whales and their recovery
tonight - Wednesday June 28th at 7:00 pm online on Zoom.
Come learn also about the status of other marine mammals in the Bay of
Fundy.

Join us for the webinar, "North Atlantic right whales and other marine
mammals in the Bay of Fundy" with researcher Gina Lonati.

Register for the online talk here:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZApduqqqD4rG917Vl-4rEiTFQjEw07Tx2cr

About the talk:
With only 340 individuals remaining, North Atlantic right whales are
critically endangered and need our help. Historically considered the
"right" whale to hunt, North Atlantic right whales are still facing
persistent threats from human activities, including entanglement in
fishing gear and collisions with vessels. Through a combination of
research, outreach, innovation, and interdisciplinary management, there
is still hope for the species. Gina will outline the research and
management efforts that involve multiple stakeholders, including
academia, government, industry, and the public. In addition, she will
present about some of the other charismatic marine mammal species that
can be found out your back door in the Bay of Fundy.

Gina Lonati is a 4th -year PhD student at the University of New
Brunswick Saint John in the lab of Dr. Kimberley Davies. The goal of her
thesis research is to better understand the health of North Atlantic
right whales in response to prey dynamics and human impacts, using a
combination of aerial drone sensors and oceanographic sampling.

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._