[BNS_members] Upcoming Field Trip: Interpreting the Ancient Environment of Horton Bluffs

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Fri May 5 04:11:44 CDT 2023

Good morning,

The spring world is full of excitement and our May calendar [1] is
filling up and we can't wait to announce more spring and summer events
and happenings shortly.

Another great field trip is coming up: Interpreting the Ancient
Environment of Horton Bluffs.

_Join leader Peter Wallace for an informative morning walk learning
about rocks and fossils on Sunday May 14 at 9:00 am. Meet on Avonport
Station Road (details to go out to participants). More details below and
registration link here [2] & below, too._

__

Open to all ages! Come explore... This field trip to a single outcrop
(although quite large) will allow the viewers extensive observations on
a small period of time in the geologic past as well as some of the
events that have affected the rocks and organisms after deposition.
Through questions and deductive reasoning, some guidance from the field
trip leader, and the personal experiences of the participants, one will
be able to envision the geological history of Horton Bluff up to the
modern day: a science-based trip of discovery.

If BNS members were impressed with Sandra Barr's talk on the geological
history of Nova Scotia here's an opportunity to view and access some of
the evidence used in that talk. Geologists compose stories about ancient
environments and organisms using rock and fossil evidence starting from
a single outcrop to a series of outcrops with similar rocks and fossils
to regional areas involving outcrops of rocks and fossils of older,
similar, and younger ages. This allows geologists and paleontologists to
discover changes or evolutionary trends in biologic organisms and their
geographic areas over time - the bio-geological history of Earth.

Details & registration link:
https://blomidonnaturalists.ca/event/interpreting-the-ancient-environment-of-horton-bluffs-field-trip/

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._

Links:
------
[1] https://blomidonnaturalists.ca/
[2]