[BNS_members] Birding & Geology Field Trips Next Weekend & Upcoming Monthly Meeting

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Sun May 7 05:04:06 CDT 2023

Good morning,

Next weekend there are some exciting field trips lead by BNS members.
And our BNS meetings is also coming up, with a date and location change,
however. See below for details and registration for these events, with
many opportunities to learn and get outside!

Saturday May 13: Saulnier Trail Marsh Birding Walk for Global Big Day

_With trip leader Patrick Kelly_

Join for a birding walk by a marsh with large cattails and through mixed
woods. A great way to get out and bird for Global Big Day! 9:00 am -
Laurie Saulnier Memorial Trail, Hantsport

Details & registration here:
https://blomidonnaturalists.ca/event/saulnier-trail-birding-walk/

Sunday May 14: Interpreting the Ancient Environment of Horton Bluffs
Field Trip

_With trip leader Peter Wallace _

An informative morning field trip learning about rocks and fossils on
Sunday May 14 at 9:00 am (duration approx 3 hours). Meet on Avonport
Station Road (details to go out to participants).

Details & registration here:
https://blomidonnaturalists.ca/event/interpreting-the-ancient-environment-of-horton-bluffs-field-trip/

Tuesday May 16: Monthly Meeting - The Geologic History of Minas Basin

Join the BNS for our monthly meeting in May. Please note that due to
recent circumstance, this month's meeting is moved from the third Monday
night of the month to Tuesday May 16th at 7:00/7:30 pm at the Wolfville
Lions' Club. As always, we have a Zoom option, too. _**Please note a
change a day (by one day) and a change of location!**_

Details:
Tuesday May 16th at 7:30 pm the meeting starts, with updates followed by
the talk Those joining in person welcomed as of 7:00 pm onward for
social and tea. In person at the Wolfville Lions Club (36 Elm Ave) or
online on Zoom. (Zoom registration:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUvde-oqj4tGdYKZSnJACZhqbQkumpv_W5P)

Join us for the following talk:

_The Geologic History of Minas Basin, by Elisabeth Kosters_

The rocks exposed in the cliffs around Minas Basin and the sediments
swirling around in its waters and along its shores are testimony to 330
million years of earth history. We can learn about this fascinating
history by studying the evidence presented to us: fossils, minerals,
geologic structures, tidal sediments and marshes. People have long found
necessary resources here; their needs have shifted from when the Mik'maq
hunted for fish and game to Colonial needs of coal and other minerals
and - more recently - the need to harness the tides to provide us with
clean energy in a time of global warming and sea level rise. This
presentation will you on a virtual field trip around Minas Basin,
beginning at Blue Beach and ending with the basalts capping the North
Mountain and forming Five Islands.

--
Caroline Beddoe
She/her

Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water.