[BNS_members] Unfortunate news for Wolfville residents

Soren Bondrup-Nielsen soren at bondrup.com
Fri May 12 08:54:54 CDT 2023

Hello,
I have been involved HWA, hemlock woolly adelgid, in Nova Scotia for some time
see: https://blomidonnaturalists.ca/hemlock-woolly-adelgid/
Last week I surveyed the hemlock stand within Wolfville

and I found HWA present. I reported this to Ron Neville with Canadian Food Inspection Agency who is i charge of mapping HWA spread. I also alerted Wolfville town council. The read circle on the map is where I found evidence for HWA. The stand depicted is largely hemlock trees.
The is controversy around what to do - inject trees or leave it be. See the last issue of Beyond the Tides.
In a few years it will be too late to inject trees - in a few more years, all the trees will be standing skeletons. There is no easy solution.

In sadness

Soren

Soren Bondrup-Nielsen
Professor Emeritus,  Biology