[BNS_members] Pilot Participants Wanted: Appreciating the Acadian Forest Course

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Mon May 29 09:09:20 CDT 2023

Good morning,

_We have an exciting opportunity for pilot participants in a new course
that has been developed by Soren Bondrup-Nielsen. We are looking for
keen participants to delve into this two-day forest experience! This is
a fantastic learning experience at no cost except lunch! More details
below:_

Appreciating the Acadian Forest: Two-Day Ecology & Connection Field
Course

This is a full weekend pilot course (no overnight) on the Acadian Forest
with Soren Bondrup-Nielsen

Saturday June 3 10:00 am - 4:00 pm and Sunday June 4th 10:00 am to 4:00
pm

Ross Creek Centre for the Arts (and potentially elsewhere nearby -
carpooling to be arranged)

The Acadian Forest Ecology course has been developed for the BNS by
Riley Scanlan and Soren Bondrup-Nielsen. We are piloting the course on
June 3 and 4 to determine how well it works in terms of content, length
and location (Ross Creek Centre for the Arts). Since it is a pilot run,
there will not be a charge for the course itself. Ross Creek is
providing space and lunch for the two days and there will be charge for
lunch at $35 per person for the two day.

Details & registration here. [1]

_More details pending regarding travel beyond Ross Creek.  Please see
the information below & the attached course outline for details. _

_--_

Details:

Appreciating the Acadian Forest

_A two-day course consisting of five modules about the Acadian Forest,
__presented by: Blomidon Naturalists Society_

_Delivered by: Soren Bondrup-Nielsen_

The Acadian Forest covers most of Nova Scotia and consisted of more than
fifty percent old growth before Europeans arrived. From that time, it
has been extensively altered by clearing for agriculture, urban
development and forestry. Extensive clear-cutting practices continue,
and the forest is now also impacted by extreme weather events due to
climate change and invasive species such as hemlock woolly adelgid, the
emerald ash borer, and beech leaf miner. With these impacts it is
important to gain an appreciation of this forest.

Traditionally, a course about nature, such as forests and other
ecosystems, tends to focus on how to recognize and classify them, the
species that they contain and what function they serve. As for the
species, often just the ones important from a human perspective are
mentioned. We live at a time of great environmental impact from humans.
For people to really appreciate nature, it is not enough to have an
academic and ecological understanding alone, but we must also impart an
emotional connection, which we feel will engender a need to protect
nature. Humans are part of nature, and nature is what sustains us. Thus,
this course intends to engender a holistic view of the Acadian Forest
and aims to bring about an emotional, as well as an ecological
appreciation of the Acadian Forest, which we feel will engender a need
to protect this highly complex and fragile ecosystem.

Module 1: Appreciating the forest

Module 2: Forest Species

Module 3: Reading the forest

Module 4: Forest types and ecology

Module 5: Humans and the forest

This course will have mostly field work and some readings, discussion
and activities. See the attached course outline for more details.

This course will take place predominantly outside in the forest and
trails. Participants should be willing to walk outdoors in a variety of
terrains.

Please contact us with any accessibility questions or other questions.

More details and registration here:
https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/blomidon-naturalists-society/events/appreciating-the-acadian-forest-two-day-ecology-connection-field-course-pilot/

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._

Links:
------
[1]