[BNS_members] Ban on Travel and Activities in Forests in Nova Scotia

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Tue May 30 15:27:58 CDT 2023

Good day,

The Premier has announced that, effective now and until further notice,
all travel and activities (walking, camping, fishing, ATVs, forestry,
mining) are not allowed in Nova Scotia forests due to the wildfires.

We are working with our events leaders and partners to determine next
steps, so more details will emerge, but please note that this means that
all we will need to plan to postpone until further notice all BNS events
in forests, including our upcoming field courses. Notice will go out to
participants already registered.

We will keep an eye on what is happening and make any further updates as
required.

This is a devastating time and we hope everyone is safe and that the
rains come soon.

Our hearts break at the loss happening to homes, wildlife, habitat, and
places across this beautiful province. This has been such as dry spring,
and as we experience the challenges and devastation of drought, and the
unpredictable weather of climate change, we know that naturalists
societies and our work to care for the natural environment, promote
resilience and adaptation, and support sustainable futures is so
pertinent.

Stay safe,

Caroline

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._