[BNS_members] Articles on blue carbon and plastic bag ban

Riley Scanlan rileyscanlan16 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 10:07:32 CDT 2020

Hello everyone,

Here are two articles I found interesting and wanted to share with you all.

Salt marshes of Nova Scotia seem to be receiving the attention they deserve
in The Narwhal's recent article. Their ability to store carbon will be
extremely important in achieving global GHG emission targets. In fact, "the
ocean’s vegetated habitats (like mangroves and salt marshes) cover less
than two per cent of the ocean floor, but they hold over half of the carbon
stored in ocean sediments." Read the full piece here
<https://thenarwhal.ca/blue-carbon-climate-change-canada/>.

The provincial government plans to follow through on their promise to ban
plastic bags. The ban is in effect Oct 30:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/nova-scotia-plastic-bag-ban-go-ahead-1.5752370
<https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/nova-scotia-plastic-bag-ban-go-ahead-1.5752370>

If you're on social media, I post frequently about events and news on our
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/BlomidonNaturalistsSociety/>, Twitter
<https://twitter.com/bns1974> and Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/bns.1974/> pages.

All the best,