[BNS_members] Meeting reminder and articles

Riley Scanlan rileyscanlan16 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 08:28:38 CDT 2020

Hi everyone,

This is a reminder about our upcoming general meeting. We are very happy to
have Carolyn Landry speaking to us this coming Monday in honour of Mi'kmaq
Heritage Month. Carolyn is from the Annapolis Valley and holds a Master's
Degree in Sociology from Acadia University (2011). She is an entrepreneur
with her own business, Redfeather’s Native Art. Carolyn specializes in
Cultural Competency, Cultural Teachings, Cultural Consulting and Workshops
including Drum Building and Moccasin Making with reconciliation at the
heart of all her work. She also contributes to the local community through
Centrestage Theatre and has served on the Central Kings Community Health
Board.  Carolyn embraces the 7 Sacred Teachings taught to her by her
ancestors, children, grandchildren, and Mother Earth. She will speak of her
journey to honour the ancient ways of the teachings in order to reconcile
with herself and Nature.
Again, here is the link to pre-register. Once you click on the link you
will be emailed the zoom meeting information.
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUscOqoqzIrHda56YvxdUIZJn2XSVqoph1X

In addition, here are are a few news articles I found interesting:

Todd Labrador has built a beautiful 21 ft birch canoe:
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1806228035762

CBC conducted a great investigation into where Amazon return items end up:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marketplace-amazon-returns-1.5753714

"Indigenous knowledge was central to the decision-making" behind the
government's recent announcement of new protected areas:
https://cpawsns.org/cpaws-ns-welcomes-indigenous-led-protected-areas/?fbclid=IwAR3T1De5iXFeCXmxjI1trjmtK37dGB90fCNXm2HQIlLY2cqtP1ZOQFJbRCE
<https://cpawsns.org/cpaws-ns-welcomes-indigenous-led-protected-areas/?fbclid=IwAR3T1De5iXFeCXmxjI1trjmtK37dGB90fCNXm2HQIlLY2cqtP1ZOQFJbRCE>

I look forward to "seeing" you all on Monday!

Best,
Riley