[BNS_members] Monthly Meeting Next Monday: Eelgrass

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Mon Jun 13 17:25:44 CDT 2022

Dear members,

Next Monday is our June monthly meeting, and the last meeting before we
take our summer break (July and August) from meetings and presentations
(there will be field trips and other programming though!)

Join us MONDAY JUNE 20TH AT 7:30 PM for our meeting and a presentation
on COASTAL EELGRASS BEDS: HOTSPOTS FOR BIODIVERSITY AND CONSERVATION
(you'll notice two presentations in a row focusing on 'hotspots' -
biodiversity has been our theme this past year and it has been great to
explore so many topics and areas and species richness). Presenter Ryan
Stanley, a Fisheries and Oceans Canada biologist at the Bedford
Institute of Oceanography, will present at our meeting. Join us to learn
all about vital eelgrass habitat in Nova Scotia, the incredible
biodiversity found in these marine ecosystems, and the use of eDNA to
capture biodiversity and support conservation work! From providing
diverse habitat to protecting shorelines to storing carbon (and hence
helping to mitigate climate change)... eelgrass is fascinating and so
important!

Ryan will talk on the Canadian Marine Protected Area Program and will
review the challenges of establishing and monitoring a national network
of protected areas. He will introduce eelgrass as a focus of this
national conservation network, reviewing the ecosystem services they
provide and the biodiversity they support. He will discuss a recent
application of environmental DNA as a novel and exciting tool for
biodiversity monitoring within these important and sensitive ecosystems!

REGISTER FOR THE ZOOM here and you will receive the link to the meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwof--pqD4tE9EQqS9z_WeuO8j6UbBTnoBE
[1]

We hope to reconvene in September with in-person and online meetings.
Hope to see you at the meeting next week - I'm sure there will be many
nature observations to share at the start with summer just around the
corner...

Have a good evening,

Caroline

--
Caroline Beddoe
 She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._

Links:
------
[1]
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwof--pqD4tE9EQqS9z_WeuO8j6UbBTnoBE