[BNS_members] Fwd: [NNS Board] Collaborative Protected Areas Strategy Engagement | Collaborative Protected Areas Strategy

John Burka burka at upei.ca
Fri Aug 25 15:24:13 CDT 2023

I am sending you the attached email as Secretary of the BNS with an urgent
request to fill out the survey regarding the Collaborative Protected Area
Strategy Engagement. I am presently visiting family in Ontario but am
taking the time to to ask you to respond to this request as soon as
possible, ie in the next month.  We are wondering why the NS government is
sending out this survey as we understood they had already agreed to
protecting 20% of NS by 2030. We may be back to the drawing board!

So please encourage or demand protection of all crown lands with trees over
80 years old, use of only sustainable forestry practices with elimination
of clear cutting, protection of wetlands, etc. Our environment cannot
sustain putting economic and political gains ahead of a sustainable future
for our province.

I could go on but I will stop at this point and strongly encourage all
members of the BNS fill out the survey so that our voices are heard to
guarantee a viable future for this province. Thank you. John