[BNS_members] Upcoming Events: Monthly Meeting, Field Trips & More

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Mon Mar 13 12:38:41 CDT 2023

Good sunny afternoon,

A reminder of some upcoming events!

Monthly Meeting

Our monthly meeting is on Monday March 20th (NB - the calendar lists the
meeting as tonight, March 13th, but that is not the case! Apologies for
any confusion)

March Meeting Presentation: "Flowing Under the LIDAR: The Challenge of
Conserving Nova Scotia's Smallest Wetlands"

Join us for the monthly meeting of the Blomidon Naturalists Society,
which will be held on Monday March 20th at 7:30 pm in-person in
Wolfville at the Wolfville Curling Club (upstairs) and online on Zoom.

Wetlands biologist John Brazner will join us to give a talk about vernal
pools in Nova Scotia. He will provide a bit of background about what
vernal pools are, their ecology, a bit about important ecosystem
services they provide including what critters live there, what we know
about their distribution in Nova Scotia, why they are hard to map, what
research and monitoring is currently going on and some ideas on how we
might do a better job of protecting them.

At 7:30 pm meeting commences, with introductions and updates followed by
the presentation. 7:00 pm open social for those in-person prior to the
talk. In-person upstairs at the Wolfville Curling Club (22 Elm Ave) or
online on Zoom (registration here:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUpceChqTktGdVkKpGgNL3OUynU3w67_53H
[1])

Field Trips & Outings

We have a field trip on March 26th!

Miner's Marsh Early Spring Stroll

Join BNS member and secretary John Burka & other naturalists for a field
trip to explore early spring in Kentville!
Sunday March 26th at 10:00 AM.

Meet at Eaves Hollow [2] at 10:00 am and walk along the Jijuktu'kwjek
River and the rail trail to Miner's Marsh and back.
Explore signs of early spring in the landscape, birds, and the
ever-changing marsh.
If it is icy this field trip will be postponed.

And Flying Squirrel Adventures have organized another Nature for
Newcomers event on March 18th...

Nature for Newcomers: Maple Tree Farm Visit & Syrup Sampling
_Getting to know the Valley in all seasons!_

Saturday, March 18th, 2:00 - 4:00 pm, Kentville
We have been invited to a local family's farm to learn from them and
experience the process of making maple syrup. From collecting sap (the
"sweet water"), to chopping wood for the fire, to boiling down buckets
of sap to a dark thickened sweet syrup.
This is a winter activity that is both fun and delicious. There will be
fun in the forest, around a campfire, and more! Visit the Nature for
Newcomers webpage [3] to learn more or register for this event.

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._

Links:
------
[1]
https://blomidonnaturalists.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0dbe0d10c2ef002331c94c4f9&id=893866a6c7&e=10eafed8a9