[BNS_members] Reminder: Blomidon Naturalists monthly meeting & talk moved to Tuesday

Caroline Beddoe coordinator at blomidonnaturalists.ca
Thu May 11 05:54:53 CDT 2023

Good day,

A reminder that the Blomidon Naturalists Society's monthly meeting &
talk for May has been moved to Tuesday May 16th (from Monday May 15th -
the usual third Monday of the month, due to meeting location
circumstances) and will be held at the Wolfville Lions Club.

All welcome to join on Tuesday May 16th at 7:00 pm for social in-person,
followed by the meeting & talk at 7:30 pm. In-person at the Wolfville
Lions Club (36 Elm Ave) and online on Zoom (Zoom registration:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUvde-oqj4tGdYKZSnJACZhqbQkumpv_W5P
[1])

We are excited to have Elisabeth Kosters present the following talk: The
Geologic History of the Minas Basin.

The rocks exposed in the cliffs around Minas Basin and the sediments
swirling around in its waters and along its shores are testimony to 330
million years of earth history. We can learn about this fascinating
history by studying the evidence presented to us: fossils, minerals,
geologic structures, tidal sediments and marshes. People have long found
necessary resources here; their needs have shifted from when the Mik'maq
hunted for fish and game to Colonial needs of coal and other minerals
and - more recently - the need to harness the tides to provide us with
clean energy in a time of global warming and sea level rise. This
presentation will you on a virtual field trip around Minas Basin,
beginning at Blue Beach and ending with the basalts capping the North
Mountain and forming Five Islands.

--
Caroline Beddoe
  She/her

_ Blomidon Naturalists Society activities take place in Mi'kma'ki, the
traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People. We
acknowledge that we have a responsibility to honour and learn about
their histories and current cultures and to actively work in support of
reconciliation. We are committed to fostering respectful and sustainable
relationships with the Indigenous Peoples of this land, with all other
organisms, with the land and with the water._

Links:
------
[1]
https://blomidonnaturalists.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0dbe0d10c2ef002331c94c4f9&id=0db3161193&e=38f027a68e