[BNS_members] Zoom meeting invitation - Blomidon Naturalists Society's Personal Meeting Room

Soren Bondrup-Nielsen soren at bondrup.com
Sun Sep 17 09:21:41 CDT 2023

Blomidon Naturalists Society is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Blomidon Naturalists Society's Personal Meeting Room

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2676517871?pwd=Zmg5NWxCR0hRc3I1MDlMUG1jR2swUT09

Meeting ID: 267 651 7871
Passcode: 0uz0b7

Blomidon Naturalist’s Society Meeting
Tuesday September 19th starting at 7:00 pm with a social, and with the talk from 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm. Wolfville Lions Hall
“How the social life of fish influences responses to climate warming”
Dr. Suzie Currie
As high temperatures continue to set records around the world, fish are facing alarming, regular thermal extremes. Animals will either adapt to these warming temperatures, migrate, or face possible extinction. We use a hermaphroditic air-breathing fish, the mangrove rivulus, as a model to shed light on the perils of and possible adaptations to climate warming in aquatic environments. There are many factors that may make animals more susceptible to climate warming, and one that we’ve been investigating is the social environment. We have recently shown that socially experienced fish sense and respond to warm temperatures differently than socially isolated fish. In this talk, I will introduce you to this interesting fish and discuss how changes in the social life of fish can influence how they cope with climate warming.